When it comes to pushing updates to its apps for Android, Google remains at the top of the podium with regular deliveries for the same. The search engine giant has been updating its Hangouts app for Android pretty impressively. Today the search engine giant released one more update to the same app, which brings more improvements to the app.
Earlier the app was updated with SMS integration and the latest update which takes the app to version 2.1 actually refines the same feature. However, some new features can also be found in the update. The latest 2.1 update merges SMS and Hangouts conversation with the same person. Thus now the users don't have to go go to text messages separately. You will basically find the texts also in the same IM chat UI.
Talking about the other changes, Google is also revamping the contact list. It is bifurcating it into two categories viz, People you Hangout With and Phone Contacts. Hangouts 2.1 will get you a homescreen widget as well, via which you can quickly access the recent conversations.
Moreover, in your contacts list, it will show either an SMS icon or a Hangouts chat bubble icon, and the same will be found to the left of the text input field, so you can easily switch between the two. And, if you don't like the new merged view, you can change your settings to have the conversations split apart.
Here are the highlighted features of the update:
- Highlighted outgoing Hangout messages
- Simplified contact list: now there's two main sections in contacts - People you Hangout With, and Phone Contacts - making it simpler to navigate, and easier to use for SMS
- More Prominent Presence Status (on call, moods, etc)
- New Notification sound
- Separate voice and video call tones
- Performance improvements: today's update includes better quality video calls, as well as improved SMS and MMS reliability
- Home screen widget: add the Hangouts widget to your homescreen for quick access to your recent conversations
- Long press on images to save media