Sony has recently announced that it is offering to run the Android M developer preview on its selected Xperia devices. The company's Open Device program allows users to install the clean version of Android M developer preview from the Android Open Source Project (AOSP).
Now, Sony has released the necessary binaries for its Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact to run the Android M Developer Preview. However, FreeXperia have developed these binaries to make final Android M Developer Preview builds.
You can now install these builds just as you install any custom ROM and enjoy Android M Developer Preview on your Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. The ROM is a direct compilation of Google's source code and it is yet to finalized so there might be some issues.
You will be able to update the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact to Android M Developer Preview using this tutorial. It is recommended to root and has install a custom recovery on the tablet. The custom recovery is required to flash Android M developer preview ROM and Google Apps.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is highly technical. If the smartphone / tablet brick or damaged during the installation process, GizBot cannot be held responsible for any kind of damage for the device. Hence, the user has to perform the installation on their own risk.]
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android M developer preview ROM build on Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on Android devices, then installing this custom ROM on Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact is no different.
However, for beginners do read all the points mentioned in this tutorial before actually performing it on your device. Also note that, installing the custom ROM or custom recovery will void the warrant of the device and will not get any official updates including security update from OEM or Google.
Before starting the installation process, download required files to your computer from the links provided below.
Points to Remember
1. This tutorial is only to install the Android M Developer Preview ROM build provided by FreeXperia for Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. Please don't try this on any other variants of the tablet.
2. Backup all the important data, additional files, apps and settings. Installing custom ROM on the tablet will wipe all the data.
3. It is recommended to use custom recovery tool to create a complete image of the existing phone setup. To create backup in recovery tool, select Backup and Restore and tap Backup in custom recovery mode.
4. The tablet should be rooted with the latest ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP recovery tool before installing the custom ROM and ensure its bootloader is unlocked.
5. Ensure the tablet has at-least 80 percent of battery charge to avoid power off during installation process.
6. Make sure USB drivers of Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact have been installed on the PC.
7. Sony PC Companion will NOT detect your phone after installing this ROM because it is a custom firmware.
8. Download the required files to your computer from the links provided above in this tutorial.
Complete Steps to Install Android M Developer Preview ROM on Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
Step 1: Connect and mount the tablet to the computer using USB cable.
Step 2: Copy and past the downloaded files to the SD card root. Do not copy the files to tablet's internal memory or in any other folder.
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Now, boot the tablet into recovery mode. To get into recovery mode, hold Volume UP + Home + Power keys together for few seconds.
Step 5: Perform full data wipe by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset' option in the recovery mode.
Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select, while operating in the recovery mode.
Step 6: Clear cache memory of the tablet by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Go back to main menu of recovery mode and select 'advance' and choose 'wipe dalvik cache' to perform complete wipe. This step is optional but it is recommended to clear dalvik cache to avoid boot loops and other errors during installation.
Step 8: Again return to the main menu of the recovery mode and select 'install zip from SD card'. Navigate to the SD card and select the ROM zip file, which you copied earlier to the root folder of SD card.
Step 9: Repeat the step 8 to install Google Apps.
Step 10: Once the custom ROM and Google Apps are installed successfully, go back to main menu of recovery mode and reboot the device by selecting 'reboot system now'.
The tablet will take about 5 minutes to boot for the first time with Android M Developer Preview installed. Wait till the device starts. Now your Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact should be running the Android M ROM by FreeXperia.
Source: Team Android