The 31st of July is drawing close and it is the time to consult your tax consultant. Most of us might prefer the conventional method of letting the chartered accounts handle the procedure. However, those with a taxable income of more than Rs 10 lakh have only one choice. They have to take the e-filing option. Even others can opt for this method. You can follow these simple steps to file your tax online without much hassles.
E-filing Tax Returns
- Log on to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in created by the IT department. Register with your PAN (which will be your username).
- Download the appropriate ITR form.
- Open the downloaded excel utility. If you are using Office 2003, go to Tools Macro Security. Set the level at 'medium' and enable the macros option while you open the excel utility.
- Enter the details. The information is present in the Form 16.
- Validate the same by clicking on the 'Validate' button. An XML sheet will be saved on your computer.
- Upload the XML file on the IT portal. Remember to select the AY 2012 – 2013. You will be asked to digitally sign the file if you want.
- If you get a message on the screen that the e-filing is successful, then the process is over. You will receive a mail with the ITR verification form.
- Print the ITR-V (in black ink), sign on it and send it to the Income Tax Department-CPC, Post Bag No-1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore – 560100, Karnataka through ordinary post. This should be posted within 120 days from the date of filing the returns online.
- If it reaches the office after 120 days, you will have to repeat the process again.
- If you don't receive the acknowledgement from the IT Department, send the form again. Remember that courier services will not be accepted.