New releases from Nokia like Nokia 600, 700, and 701 are said to feature an update for their Symbian operating system, to the new Symbian OS version called Symbian belle.
Devices such as Nokia N8, Nokia C7, Nokia E7, Nokia C6-01, Nokia X7, and Nokia E6 will also be able to update their OS to Symbian belle.
The following are the requirements and the steps to update your Symbian to Symbian belle for Nokia N8 handsets. As the update hasn’t been released officially, other handsets will have to wait.
- Nokia N8, obviously
- Nokia OVI Suite latest version which is available for free download from Nokia’s website
- Version 3 Navifirm+
- Symbian belle firmware files
- Phoenix Service Software version 2011.14.004.45945 or higher
Note: N8 users have to keep in mind that this update is a leaked version and might cause some stability issues, namely bugs which affect the setup of java apps and games. Issues like the dialer disappearing, phone crashing or getting locked automatically etc might happen. The steps below, if followed carefully, will ensure that there won’t be any problems while setting up the update. Error in set up might brick your phone.
- Decompress Navifirm+ 1.3 after download
- Open the downloaded folder and run Navifirm+
- Select Production External and then select “Nokia N8 (RM-596)”
- Select v22.014
- Select your product code and then download all the files completely
- Move all the downloaded files to a newly created folder named RM-596
For Windows XP users (assuming programs files are in C drive)
Move these files to Nokia/Phoenix/Products in C drive program files folder
For Windows 7 users
Move files to Nokia/Phoenix/Products/RM-596 in C drive program files
- Now extract Symbian Belle RAR file (sometimes it require a password, depends on how you got the Symbian belle files from Phoenix)
NOTE: Those users with Nokia OVI Suite need not go through the steps below. Just exit or close the OVI Suite app and connect your N8 to PC via USB
Those without Nokia OVI Suite latest, follow the steps below:
- Install latest OVI Suite or update the current OVI Suite in your handset to the latest version
- Go to Menu and then select “Settings” icon in your phone, after installation of OVI Suite
- Select “Connectivity” and then select “USB”
- Now click on the “Nokia OVI Suite”
- After making sure that OVI Suite is in “Default” mode, connect your N8 to PC using microUSB cable
- Once after the USB driver installs completely, open OVI Suite and wait till you see “Nokia N8 connected” at the bottom
- Now disconnect your phone by unplugging the USB cable and completely closing Nokia OVI Suite
- Turn off all antivirus and security softwares before installing Phoenix Service software as its crack maybe falsely detected as virus
- Now connect the phone to your PC after setting up Phoenix
- Set “Connections” to No Connections after opening Phoenix
- Click “Files” and select “Open Product”
- Select RM-596 and click OK in the new window
- From the top bar select the flashing and then select “Firmware Update”
- In the new window which opens, click on the box with 3 little dots and select your phone’s product code, before clicking OK
It’s done. Symbian belle is yours. Now if you wait little longer, you may get official update soon where the updates can be done automatically.