The digital videos which are being released through iTunes make use of M4V file format. This file format can find application in commercial media such as movies and television shows. It is also used in free video podcast episodes. The copy righted material which is stored by an M4V file can be encoded using Apple’s Flair Play DRM protection.
This type of digital encryption method helps the media in preventing unlawful reproduction and distribution. The users are not supposed to edit, modify or record the encrypted M4V files but they can easily view these kinds of videos with the help of a media player. MP4 files are being used by Apple to encode music videos, TV episodes, and movies etc. which are available in the iTunes store. The computer must be authorized with the account that was used to purchase the video in order to play a protected M4v file.
The unprotected M4V files without the AC3 audio can be accepted and played by other video players by converting the file extension format from “m4v to “mp4”. Some of the other light-weighted applications that can be used to play encrypted M4V files are QuickTime and VLC. The instructions for playing the M4V files using iTunes, QuickTime and VLC are described below.
Instructions for playing M4V files with iTunes:
- First of all, the user has to download iTunes to his device. Then tap on the “file” and select “Add file to library”.
- Start browsing for the M4V file in the selection window. After selecting the file, open it by giving it a click. Now the media gets imported into iTunes.
- Now, select the link called “Movies” which is listed under “Library Tab” and then choose listing for the imported M4v files.
- The media will start streaming through iTunes when you tap on the “play” button. The user can manage the playback file by using the commands that are displayed on the control bar.
Instructions for playing M4V files with QuickTime:
The user has to launch QuickTime first. Select “file” on the tool bar and tap “open file”.
- Using the selection window browse for the M4V file. Select the appropriate file and click to open it. By doing this the media gets imported into QuickTime.
- By tapping on the “Play” button, the video starts streaming through QuickTime.
- The user can manage the playback file by using the commands that are displayed on the control bar.
Instructions for playing M4V files with VLC:
- The user has to download VLC to his device. Then tap on the “file” and select “open file”.
- Select the right M4V file using election window. The media can be loaded into VLC by simply selecting and tapping on the “open” button.
- The media will start streaming through VLC once you tap on the “play” button. The user can manage the playback file by using the commands that are displayed on the control bar.