Apple Inc will launch its new OS for Mac computers on July 25. It has borrowed some features from mobile devices and is strongly integrated with online file storage. The new Mac OS is dubbed Mountain Lion and it narrows the gap between the software packages of phone and PC. This way, the Mac computers will work like iPhone and iPad.
The attempt of implementing phone like features in Mac Mountain Lion OS is similar to what Microsoft is doing with the upcoming Windows 8 platform. Windows 8 that will debut on October 26, will have the look and feel of Windows Phone on PCs. Mountain Lion costs $20 and will be available only as a download. Those computers that are running the latest Mac OS versions such as Lion and Snow Leopard can only be upgraded to Mountain Lion.
The Mac computers that were purchased on June 11 or later can be upgraded to the new OS for free. Apple announced the features of the Mountain Lion OS, but it did not mention the exact launch date till Tuesday.
Features of Mountain Lion
- Better integration with social networks.
- Power Nap feature that updates your Mac while it is in sleep mode.
- Messages app (copied from iOS). This will replace iChat.
- Integration with iCloud, Internet storage service.
- Dictation feature that lets the computer type as you talk.
- Game Center to store high game scores.