SpaceX is an American Aerospace Manufacturing services founded by Elon Musk in an attempt to create the technologies that will enable humanity to reduce the cost of space transportation and enable the colonization of Mars. Today, in this article, we have jotted down the list of 10 things you need to know about SpaceX.
1. SpaceX is the first private company to launch a payload into orbit and return it to Earth intact, which only government organization like NASA or Russia’s Roscosmos did.
2. The Falcon 9 rocket is named after the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars and the number "9" denotes the number of rocket engines a rocket has.
3. As per the report, roughly 80% of the parts in the SpaceX rockets is made inside the company’s own factory, thus reducing the cost of outsourcing. Moreover, this helps in keeping the price per pound of payload down and quality control in-house.
4. SpaceX first rocket name as the Falcon 1, failed to reach orbit three out of five attempted launches and they succeeded on their fourth time. This made them very close to running out of cash in the company.
5. Elon Musk is not planning to make SpaceX a public company until the Mars Colonial Transporter (MCT), where the rocket will ferry people to Mars at just $500,000 per person.
6. Dragon is a reusable spacecraft that was built to transport up to 7 astronauts and carry cargo to ISS. This spacecraft can carry over 3,310 kilograms split between pressurized cargo in the capsule and unpressurized cargo in the trunk.
7. SpaceX got some extra tech when Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen joined on board in 2011, creating a joint project with the company called Stratolaunch Systems.
8. Space X acquired a property at Boca Chica Beach for its proposed launch site since 2012. It has bought almost 43 acres and has another 56.5 acres under lease.
9. As of now, SpaceX has booked over 70 flights and the company cost around $62 million for its SpaceX customer to launch a rocket.
10. Elon Musk taught himself the rocket science and he made the rockets completely automated including the landing part.