TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Dailyhunt Trust Of The Nation Poll: Can 'Modi Wave' Help BJP Retain Power?
- Huawei Mate 20, Huawei Mate 20 Pro Officially Launched With Kirin 980 SoC
- The Beachside Town Of Vatakara In Kerala And Its Beautiful Attractions
- Malnutrition In Children And Adults: Causes, Effects And Prevention
- Smita Patil's 65th Birth Anniversary: The Cinema Goddess Who Dazzled Like No Other!
- Isuzu MU-X Facelift Launched In India; Prices Start Rs 26.26 Lakh
- Sindhu Makes Shocking First Round Exit From Denmark Open; Saina Through
- BARC Recruitment 2018: Join Diploma In Radiological Physics And Become A Medical Physicist
Sony PlayStation has overtaken Microsoft Xbox 360 in the sales of videogame consoles according to a report released on Wednesday. The report was generated by International Data Corporation (IDC), a leading data tracker.
The report states that the sales of Sony PlayStation 3 units differed by almost a million from Xbox 360 sales. This is in spite of the fact that Microsoft had released its coveted game console a year prior to the launch of PlayStation 3. It has been estimated that Sony sold around 77 million units.
The report, prepared by Lewis Ward, the gaming research manager at IDC, also projected the shipments of Wii U consoles, the latest gaming console from Nintendo, to reach 50 million by the end of 2016.
The launch of new consoles by Microsoft and Sony will further strengthen the video game industry. With Wii U and the next generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft, the game disk industry is set to see significant rise.
The report maintains that video game consoles will still have a strong reach in homes and additional features would be added to it. This is a move towards the digital direction offering users gaming experiences as well as non-gaming services. These features include streaming television shows and movies and other entertainment.
Ward believes that set-top boxes offered by cable companies and web-connected smart TVs will not hamper the reach of the ‘big 3' gaming consoles in the current year or the next.
Ward also stated that console game revenue will be primarily contributed by packaged videogame discs in the coming years. This prediction is expected to hold true even though players are gradually moving towards downloading game software online.