- 21 min ago Xiaomi Smarter Living 2020 Event: Watch The Launch Of Mi Band 4, Mi TV 65-inch, & Mi Water Purifier
- 24 min ago Realme X2 With 64MP Quad Rear Cameras To Be Launched On September 24
- 4 hrs ago Smart Bulbs To Buy In India: Philips, Syska, Mi, Wipro And More
- 7 hrs ago Most Trending Smartphones Of Last Week: iPhone 11 Pro Max, Redmi Note 8 Pro, Galaxy A50, Nokia 7.2 A
- Finance ICICI Bank To Charge Fee On Cash Deposit And Non-Maintenance Of MAB
- Lifestyle Disha Patani Looks Ravishing In Green Eye Make-up Look; Here Is How You Can Get This Look
- Movies Angad Bedi Talks About Ex-GF Nora Fatehi: The Partner She Deserves Will Come Her Way Very Soon
- News Why Baghdadi’s successor Abdullah Qardash will be equally or more ruthless
- Sports PSG vs Real Madrid: Three key battles
- Automobiles KTM Duke 790 Launch Date Confirmed For India: Here’s Everything You Need To Know
- Education AP Grama Sachivalayam Result 2019 Likely To Be Declared Soon
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
Reliance Jio 4K Set-Top Box Vs Airtel Xstream Box – Here Are Notable Differences
Reliance Jio is all set to roll out the Jio Fiber broadband service on September 5. Besides the high-speed internet connection, the company is all set to bring its 4K set-top box as well for its broadband subscribers. To compete against the service, Airtel has come up with its own attempt with the launch of the Xstream Box.
Well, Airtel Xstream Box is a set-top box based on Android 9 Pie. It can relay content from both standard cable channels and OTT sources. In comparison, both these services have their own features and offer benefits for subscribers. Here is a comparison to help you understand how the Jio 4K set-top box and Airtel Xtream Box are different.
The USP of Jio and Airtel set-top boxes is entertainment in the form of online streaming. Jio 4K set-top box has been demoed already and is preloaded with apps including JioCinema, which bundles a massive collection of shows and movies. There are other apps including JioGames, JioSaavn, JioTV, etc. However, it remains to be known if the 4K set-top box will support other Android apps.
In comparison, Airtel Xstream Box running Android 9 Pie will let users install a wide range of apps from the Google Play Store. It has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, is preloaded with apps such as Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, Airtel Xtream app, Airtel Store and more. Also, there is Chromecast support in the Airtel set-top box.
Gaming is a big market and Jio 4K set-top box comes with support for online multiplayer gaming. At the 42nd AGM, the company showed a demo is the same. It was seen that there is zero latency when it comes to online multiplayer gaming. The set-top box is touted to support almost all controllers available now including software-based controllers on smartphones.
On the other hand, Airtel Xtream Box does not support online gaming service. However, gaming buffs can download games from the Google Play Store and stream the same to their TVs, thanks to the Chromecast support.
With Jio 4K set-top box, it is possible to make video calls via a TV. The JioCall app makes this possible. Notably, users can make a video call to any supported device irrespective of the network. Unfortunately, there is no such feature in the Airtel Xtream Box.
Reliance Jio announced that the Jio Fiber and 4K Jio set-top box service will be launched on September 5. However, it is known that the Jio Fiber plans will range from Rs. 700 to Rs. 10,000 and offer 100Mbps speed. And, users need to pay Rs. 4,500 refundable security deposit to avail the service installed.
In terms of comparison, the Airtel Xstream Box is priced at Rs. 3,999. Buyers of the Airtel set-top box will get complimentary subscriptions to all content bundled within the Xstream app for a year. Also, there will be a free subscription to an HD DTH pack for a month. Interestingly, users of Airtel Digital TV can upgrade to the set-top box at a discounted cost of Rs. 2,249.
Verdict: Jio 4K STB Is Quite Beneficial
Having seen the comparison, it is clear that Jio 4K STB is more beneficial as it offers a slew of benefits as compared to Airtel's new hybrid STB. The primary reason to back this claim is that Jio offers complimentary subscriptions to all the Jio suite of apps and users need not take up individual subscriptions for other services.
Also, Jio set-top box will be offered as a part of the Jio Fiber broadband, so users need not use a separate internet connection to use the set-top box. And, the service is free to use without any additional cost, unlike Airtel Xstream Box. While it requires users to pay a refundable security deposit for the broadband service, the same is not needed for the set-top box.