QR codes (Quick Response codes) basically perform the function of barcodes, except that these have the capability to include more information within them. And while barcodes require special barcode scanners, QR codes can be deciphered with mobile phones equipped with a QR code reader application.
QR codes can be easily created through certain websites that offer these services for free. All you need to do is search on Google for such sites, click on the link that tells “Generate your QR code” and then type in the URL for which you want the code and it is generated automatically. It isn’t only URLs that can be made into QR codes. You can also acquire QR codes for an SMS, and email message or any kind of data.
You only need to specify what you need the QR code for and then enter the data in the space provided. The QR code can give a host of information to the viewer or reader, much more than a barcode. QR codes can be easily read by mobile phones. Downloading a QR code reader to the cell phone from any website offering it will help users read these codes.
Once you’ve created QR codes, they can be used in many ways:
- One way is to use the QR code in your website’s Contact Us page which will help users download contact information or even in the About Us page where the QR code could give details about your business.
- One of the most widely used applications of the QR code is in business cards. Whoever receives your card can use his/her mobile phone to read the information and save it.
- One of the advantages of QR codes is their ability to convey a lot of information in a limited space. They are ideal to be used in name tags.
- QR codes can be used for product catalogs or product packages. The code could give details of the product, how it should be used, installed, etc. or add links to your website. QR codes can obviously used in ads and hoardings too.
- You can use QR codes in your business press releases too.
- QR codes are also beginning to be used in YouTube and social media platforms where your product or business could pick up quite a buzz.