TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- 'Sab Ghungroo Bandhke Taiyar Ho Gaye': Modi's Barb At Opposition Over PM Candidate
- IPL 2019: RCB vs KXIP — Preview
- Five Avengers Endgame Theories That Will Make You Go Bonkers
- Triumph Speed Twin Launched In India At Rs 9.46 lakh
- Arjun Announces GF Gabriella Demetriades's Pregnancy!
- SEBI Blocks Hotel Leelaventure From Selling Hotels And Properties To Brookfield
- Kajol Amazes In This Sari
- Rourkela: A Weekend Getaway
How To Install Windows 8? – Consumer Preview Edition
Windows 8 is a breakthrough product from the leading software manufacturer Microsoft. To familiarize users with the features of Windows 8, Microsoft has released the Windows 8 Consumer Preview edition.
Although it is too early to depend on the new OS alone, hence, it is advisable to install this version without removing the previous operating system installed on your computer.
You can run both operating systems on a single system without much trouble. Here is an article which tells you in details the steps included in the installation of Windows 8 OS on your computer system.
If you are planning to run two operating systems side by side you should first create a separate partition on the hard drive for installing the new operating system which in this case is Windows 8.You can easily create a partition by following the steps below if you are using Windows 7.
- Click on the start menu
- Right click on Computer
- Click on manage. This will open the Computer Management Window
- Choose the hard drive which you would like to divide for creating a partition
- Under the storage capacity, click on disk management
- Right click on the hard drive which you plan to partition
- Click on Shrink Volume
- Choose the size you wish to use for the new partition.30 to 40 GB is enough space for installation and storing of files.
- A new partition will be created and will be titled as Unallocated. We will install Windows 8 in this unallocated space.
If you are having difficulty in creating a partition this way, you can avail the service of third party software like Partition Magic.
Once you have created the partition, the next step is to download the copy of Windows 8 for installation. You can get your copy as an .iso file from Microsoft website. Also get the product key from the website. After you have completed downloading, write the .iso file into a dvd.
To install from the dvd, set the first boot device as DVD drive from the BIOS Screen. BIOS Screen can be reached by pressing the Function keys or the delete button. It differs from system to system. Once you have set the boot device as dvd, place the dvd into the drive and restart the system. The system will boot from the dvd and Windows 8 set up will appear. Follow the steps below to install the OS.
- Choose your language preferences and click on next
- Click on Install now
- Provide the product key and click on next
- ‘License terms’ page will appear. Read it and click on ‘I accept’ and then click on next
- Choose the custom install option
- Choose the drive for installation which should be the ‘unallocated’ space which we created by performing partition. After choosing the drive, continue the installation.
- After the installation is complete, the system will reboot
- On the start up menu you will see the two operating systems listed. Choose Windows 8
- Personalization screen will appear which will allow you to choose a background colour and name for the system. Provide it and click next
- Settings page will appear. Click on Express settings
- Next page will allow you to sign in using your Microsoft live id. Having a live id will allow you to sync data across various Windows 8 devices. If you don’t have one click on the ‘Local account’ option
- Provide a user name and password. Providing password is optional. Click on finish
PC will finalize your settings. This completes the installation of Windows 8 operating system on your computer.
Please Note: This is only a consumer preview edition and you need to purchase and install a different version when Microsoft officially launches the new OS.