- 2 hrs ago Honor 20, Honor 20 Pro, Honor 20 Lite announced with quad cameras: Price, specs and more
- 3 hrs ago Skullcandy Indy review: A cheaper alternative to Apple AirPods
- 4 hrs ago Vodafone partners with Hyundai arm, for connected car services
- 5 hrs ago Nokia 3.2 officially launched in India with 4000mAh battery starting at Rs 8,990
- News J&K Governor lifts restrictions on civilian traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway from May 27
- Sports Archer thinks IPL experience gives him World Cup advantage
- Automobiles Range Rover Sport Launched With New 2.0-Litre Petrol Engine — Prices Start At 86.71 Lakh
- Lifestyle 21 Home Remedies For Mosquito Bites
- Movies Chinmayi Posts 'Nudes' As Requested By A Troll; Shocking Deets Inside
- Finance Savings Account Vs Debt Funds: Which Is Better To Maintain Emergency Fund?
- Education Goa Board SSC Result 2019: 92.47% Students Passed
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Is Jailbreaking My New Apple iPhone 7 a Good Idea?
Make your Apple iPhone 7 quirkier by Jailbreaking it.
While the iPhones, for most of the part “just work” like Steve Jobs has always said, a few users, for the tech enthusiasts they are, like to dig deeper and customise their smartphones to their own liking. And for that, Apple users can jailbreak their iPhones to unleash its untapped potential.
For the uninitiated, Jailbreaking is nothing but getting rid of all the hardware restrictions Apple lays on its iOS devices. Once it's done, you can customise your smartphone to look the way you want it to look but not how Apple wants it to look.
This brings us to the question, is it a good idea to jailbreak your Apple iPhone?
Well, that’s a tricky question to answer. We will list a few advantages followed by some disadvantages of jailbreaking your iPhone which will eventually make it easier for you to decide if you should choose to jailbreak your iDevice or not.
Download apps from anywhere
While there are plenty of apps available on the Apple App Store which most of the times serve the purpose, jailbreaking your iPhone will allow you to download apps from multiple other sources (like Cydia — essentially an App Store-like source with illegitimate apps) which you can’t download otherwise.
Jailbreaking gives your iPhone, the power to do things which can’t be done with the default iOS. What this means is that you can run themes, add new skins, customise the Control Center, and a lot more. The possibilities are just endless, all it takes is a little research and a little patience to get more control over the looks and feels.
But, what about the software updates?
Enough about the pros, let’s talk about a few downsides. The first major disadvantage is the fact that you won’t be able to upgrade to the latest iOS as soon as it releases. You’ll have to wait until the jailbreak community releases a jailbroken iOS update, which may take months after the official iOS launch or may never see the light of the day.
Is there anything else to worry about?
Well, yes! There are a lot of other things you’ll have to worry about. Firstly, jailbreaking your iPhones voids the Apple’s warranty. Meaning, in case if something goes wrong with your iPhone while it's being jailbroken or it has been jailbroken already, it won’t be eligible for assistance from any of the Apple stores.
Additionally, your iPhone will become vulnerable to malicious attacks from hackers. As a matter of fact, jailbreaking itself is hacking your smartphone to remove the hardware restrictions.
Finally, should I jailbreak my iPhone or not?
Well, we’ve already made it clear what one will get and lose on jailbreaking the iPhone. Now, the onus of taking this decision entirely rests on you and your preferences. That said, one thing is for sure, if you care for security and privacy more than anything else, you’d definitely want to stay away from jailbreaking your iPhone.