- 2 hrs ago Apple iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max Tipped To Feature LiDar Sensor
- 2 hrs ago Hotstar Subscription Plans India: Best Hotstar Premium and VIP Plans, Offers, Price And Validity
- 2 hrs ago Black Shark 3 Series Receive Display Panels From Samsung Display And BOE
- 3 hrs ago These Smartphones Were Most Searched On Flipkart Last Month
- Finance SEBI Revises Cut-Off Time For Mutual Fund Investments
- Automobiles Mercedes Benz GLS Teased Ahead Of India Launch: Will Rival The BMW X7
- Movies KGF Chapter 2 May Get Postponed Due To COVID-19 Lockdown, To Now Release On KGF Chapter 1 Date?
- Sports British Open cancelled due to virus: organisers
- News Telangana govt requests PM Modi to extend coronavirus lockdown from April 14 till June 3
- Lifestyle COVID-19:What Is Asymptomatic Transmission? This Is How You Could Be Spreading It!
- Education CBSE Academic Calendar 2020-21 For Class 1 To 12
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Maharashtra In April
Moto G 3rd Gen vs Xiaomi Mi 4i: Can Motorola Challenge 'Apple of China'?
Motorola G series is known for its budget friendly price tag and constant updates. And this year it wasn't any different too as Motorola introduced their third generation Moto G at a highly competitive price tag of Rs 11,999 for the 8GB storage/1GB RAM and Rs 12,999 for 16GB/2GB variant. Despite being priced lower than the previous generation Moto G (2nd gen), this new device will face stiffs competitions from online only brands like Yu, Xiaomi among others.
But there's a big stone lying in its path to success - and that's none other than the Xiaomi Mi4i. Hence Gizbot decided to pit the new Moto G 16GB variant against the Xiaomi Mi4i. Time for the war!
Build & Design:
The Moto G 3rd gen comes with an improved design from its predecessor. Moto has now passed this phone through IPX7 certification. To put it in a simple way it means that the device is waterproof and can withstand accidental immersion in one meter water up to a time interval of 30 minutes. This is much like what Sony has been doing in the past for its high end devices. The device is in fact the cheapest waterproof smartphone available in the country.
On the other hand the Xiaomi Mi4i has a boxy design language much like the Yu Yureka. It is in fact a mark departure from the highly criticized iPhonish design language of Apple. The Mi4i uses a polycarbonate matte finish back, which has a much better grip than the Mi4. In fact is slimmer too!
Here is a marked difference between the two devices, especially when one considers the display resolution. Despite featuring screens of the same size i.e. 5 inch, the Mi4i has a higher resolution Full HD (1920x1080) Sharp/AUO sourced panel, in comparison to the HD panel found on the Moto G 3rd gen.
Plus Xiaomi has introduced a new display technology dubbed the Sunlight Display. To be put it in a simple way, the device will change the brightness of the panel according to the external lighting. So when you are in outdoors under heavy sunlight, the sensor present above the display will detect it and spontaneously bump up the brightness.
Both display produce good and natural colors though. Moto G was always known for its high quality displays, but what Gizbot liked the most was the Mi4i's panel. It is not only sharper but also has been viewing angles with very little color distortion.
Under the Hood:
The Moto G 3rd gen 16GB variant despite having a similar price tag lags behind the Xiaomi Mi4i comes with a budget Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 SoC. On the other hand the much criticised Snapdragon 615 2nd gen dons the Mi4i. The Mi4i used to heat up a lot when the company had launched the device in India, thanks to the Snapdragon SoC. It fact one could have used it as a portable heating pad, after an hour of heavy usage. But thankfully the company made amends and it not heats a lot less.
The RAM on both the devices (Xiaomi Mi4i and Moto G 16GB) is 2GB.
On paper the Xiaomi Mi4 features an impeccable 13MP f2.0 aperture rear camera at a budget. It features the IMX214 sensor from Sony. This sensor also features in flagship devices like OnePlus One, Mi4, Oppo Find 7 to name a few. But don't expect images at the same level of Mi4 though - especially low light ones. Despite the sensor supporting a 4K video capture, the device won't able to shoot it mainly due to processor limitations.
The Moto G on the other hand sports a 13MP rear camera with an unknown sensor. The camera apertures is not known too. Both cameras feature dual LED flash.
The front camera on both the devices are 5MP respectively. Nevertheless it is a tight contest between the two devices here.
The devices run the latest iteration of Android Lollipop (5.1.1). There's a huge difference in the UIs though. While Moto G runs a stock iteration of Android, the Mi4i features the highly customised MIUI v6. This is the custom OS of Xiaomi which we have seen in all their devices before. It provides a high level of customisability along with utilitarian features.
Expect both devices to receive future updates. But the Moto G will indefinitely receive them first.
It was close contest between the two devices. But Gizbot certifies the Xiaomi Mi4i as a better package in the Rs 12,999 price tag.
Are you still confused? Don't worry, have a look at the checklist below. This will make your choice easier.
Moto G 3rd gen:
- If you need a waterproof and well-built device at a budget
- If fast and frequent updates are your priority
- Last but not the least if you are brand conscious and don't want to go with a so called ‘Chinese brand'. But do remember though Motorola is now a Lenovo company!
- Better display - Full HD + Sunlight display
- Better performance and gaming
Hope this makes your choice easier. In case you are planning to buy the Moto G then do have a look at our hands of the device.