- 7 hrs ago Everything you should know about Reliance Jio's VoWi-Fi plans
- 10 hrs ago Select Nokia smartphones get up to Rs. 6,000 discount but just for a day
- 14 hrs ago Honor 20 series to be available on Flipkart: Here are the details
- 15 hrs ago Oppo A9x goes official with 48MP primary rear camera and dewdrop notch display
- News Situation under control, but Pak attempting anti-India activity says Army
- Movies Maharshi AP/TS Box Office Collections Day 12: A Terrific Day For The Mahesh Babu Starrer
- Lifestyle Former Miss Worlds, Aishwarya & Priyanka Made A Strong Case For Dreamy White Gowns At Cannes 2019
- Sports Teams will probably be most fearful of Australia, says Steve Waugh
- Automobiles Flash Electronics Files Suit Against Royal Enfield — Are The Good Times Over?
- Education Goa Board SSC Result 2019 Will Be Declared Tomorrow At 11 AM
- Finance How To Choose Between Fixed And Floating Interest Rate On Home Loan?
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Reliance Jio is prepping a low-cost 4G smartphone, confirms Spreadtrum
Lately, we came across reports suggesting that Reliance Jio is prepping an entry-level Android smartphone. It is also speculated that the JioPhone's production has been halted for this reason.
Now, the confirmation regarding the low-cost 4G smartphone that is in the making has come from the chip maker Spreadtrum. The chip maker has claimed that they are in the process of supplying components for this Jio smartphone that is in the pipeline.
Currently, Spreadtrum is supplying chipsets for 10 million 4G smartphones and this is going to happen till the end of this year. It is believed that Jio will sell these smartphones in India by this year. Leo Li, the CEO of Spreadtrum confirmed the same to Economic Times during his India visit.
The report cites that Jio has not responded to their query regarding the 4G smartphone in the making. However, Li has stated that Jio is looking forward to launch the cheapest smartphone featuring 4-inch display. He has stated that India is the most significant market for them across the world and that they are looking at the volume of the feature phones sold over here every year. Of the feature phone makers, Jio is one that is attempting to push the segment further with the JioPhone.
Unfortunately, Li has not revealed when exactly Jio will launch this low-cost smartphone. But the report has confirmed the existence of such a device as suggested by the previous speculations.
Spreadtrum is keen on partnering with the local handset makers but is highly concerned about how the Indian manufacturers are being outshined by the Chinese players such as Oppo, Xiaomi, Vivo and others.
Given that Reliance came up with the JioPhone, Micromax also launched the 4G feature phone called Bharat One. And, Airtel followed with the launch of the Karbonn A40 India. Having said that, if Jio announces a low-cost 4G smartphone as claimed above, we can expect a stiff competition in the smartphone arena.