- News Meet AIMIM's Imtiaz Jaleel, first MP elected to Parliament from Maharashtra in 15 years
- Sports ICC World Cup 2019: Eng vs Aus, Warm-up: Smith's hundred and clinical show by bowlers help Australia beat England
- Lifestyle Diana Penty’s Sparkling Pink Gown Is Perfect For A Formal Dinner Evening
- Movies When This Top Actress’s Shocking Remark About Suriya Upset Fans
- Finance Manpasand Beverages MD, CFO Arrested In GST Evasion Fraud
- Automobiles Suzuki Intruder 250 In The Works — Launch Expected During 2020 Auto Expo
- Education HSC Result 2019 Gujarat: Steps To Check HSC Arts And Commerce Stream Result 2019
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Samsung patents reveal S Pen with built-in optical zoom camera
Samsung is planning to include a built-in optical zoom camera on S Pen for taking selfies. Here is what the patent reveals about the plan.
Samsung launched its Galaxy Note 9 as its latest flagship smartphone in 2018, along with the phone the company bought Bluetooth functionality to its celebrated S Pen. With this functionality now users will be able to use the stylus as a long-range shutter button, perfect for taking selfies and group pictures from a distance.
Now, it seems that the company is looking to upgrade the photo taking functionality from the S Pen by the inclusion of a built-in camera, according to a patent which is officially granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
According to the report from Patently Mobile, the patent was originally filed by the company back in February 2017. The patent involves an "electric pen device" with an "optical system including a lens and an image sensor", allowing a camera to be "controlled from the external electronic device."
The optical zoom functionality has always been considered as an obstacle for smartphone manufacturers because it brings an added thickness to the form factor of the handset.
Moving such technology to an external device such as Note Series S Pen will definitely gonna difficult for the company. Samsung could have made use of pinhole cameras and notch cutouts. If it is only going to be used as a selfie camera.
As you can see in Samsung's patent figure below the camera lens is fit into the upper chamber of the S Pen and a control key that could control the zooming feature.
“As Samsung prepares to expand the use of an S Pen, Samsung notes in this granted patent that slots may be provided in future notebooks and desktop displays to slip the S Pen into,” as per Patently Mobile.