Xolo, an arm of Lava International, is all set to introduce its newest handset featuring a customized version of Android OS on August 6. The Noida-based company has been teasing the new device, alongside its forthcoming Hive UI on its official Facebook page for quite some time.
The official press invites were sent to the mainstream media on Friday. The scheduled event will mark the arrival of the Xolo Play 8X-1000, a direct rival to the Xiaomi Mi 3, in the mid-range segment.
While details surrounding the upcoming handset have been scarce, however, you will find that the company giving extra focus on the much touted Hive UI.
Hive UI - All You Need To Know
Since Xolo hasn't share anything so far about the Play 8X-1000, the major focus is on the Hive UI. So what's new about the Hive UI? Is it a replica of the MIUI custom OS seen on the Xiaomi Mi3?
To our knowledge Lava has developed a new User Interface (UI) slapped on top of Google's Android mobile OS. The custom ROM is based on Android, while the UI will be similar to MIUI. Since past few weeks, Xolo had been promoting its Hive UI with a dedicated webpage. Basically, the forthcoming Hive UI will feature the new launcher, an option to download themes, new interface to enjoy multimedia content, notification center, telephone dialer, lockscreen and chameleon widget, and a new forum post called Connect.
Before we move further, let's run down the top features of the Hive UI you should be aware of.
· EDGE content store - an exclusive content store on Hive that lets you download ringtones, themes and wallpapers.
· Camera - a brand new Camera app to be integrated with the Hive UI. Expect improved camera experience with Hive
· Connect - a forum/platform where you can connect with the team Xolo to know more about firmware updates on a fortnightly basis, get mingle with community, stay upclose with dev community and share unique ideas. Lava claims this democratic community will help the company to reach out to users in an unadulterated form. Don't you think that Xolo's Connect platform is more or less similar to what Xiaomi had been preaching since its existence?
· The Hive UI also allows users to lock the phone or open various apps on the lockscreen itself.
· The Hive UI comes with a new interface (UI) to enjoy multimedia content; though there's hardly anything mentioned on the official website.
Xolo is a well established brand in the Indian handset market. But for quite some time the company hardly managed to launch any impressive handset. With the Xolo Play 8X-1000, the firm is expected to march ahead in the competition. The Hive UI, for that matter, is the only answer to stop Xiaomi's rising feat in India, especially, in the so-called ‘mid-end' segment.
We'd would be able to give more info on the Hive UI by early next week. Stay tuned to GizBot for more updates!