- 9 hrs ago iQOO Z5x Latest Official Teaser Confirms Dimensity 900 SoC; Other Features To Check Out
- 12 hrs ago Two Mystery iQOO 5G Phones Appears At Google Play Console; New Flagships?
- 15 hrs ago Lenovo Tab 6 5G With 10.3-Inch Display, Kids Space Announced: Coming To India?
- 15 hrs ago OnePlus 9RT India Price Tipped Via New Leak; Cheaper Than Competition?
- Sports Will MS Dhoni play IPL 2022? Chennai Super Kings captain responds after winning fourth title
- News Sidhu withdraws resignation after meeting Rahul Gandhi
- Movies Bigg Boss 15 October 15 Highlights: Shamita Shetty Gets Into A Heated Argument With Afsana Khan
- Automobiles BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine Iconic Edition Launched In India For Rs 53.50 Lakh
- Lifestyle Baking For Mental Health: Does It Help? What Are The Benefits?
- Finance 5 Top Auto Ancillary Multibaggers Of The Last 1-year
- Education CBSE Class 10, 12 Term Exam Dates Tentative Announced, Check CBSE Class X, XII Date Sheet Release Details
- Travel Navratri Weekend Getaways In And Around Bangalore
What Is BlackRock Malware? List Of Apps It Affects, How It Works And More
From time to time, we come across some or the other new malware that steals sensitive information from users. Now, a new malware called BlackRock has been discovered to affect as many as 377 popular smartphone apps across categories, thereby posing a high-risk rate for users.
What Is BlackRock Malware?
The cybersecurity firm ThreatFabric has discovered the new BlackRock malware. It can steal sensitive information such as passwords and credit card details from a slew of 377 apps. It is claimed to be a trojan and a variant of Xerxes developed by LokiBot. The difference is that BlackRock's target list is much bigger. Unlike previous generation trojans that targets the banking apps, this one targets apps across categories such as social media, dating, music, videos and much more.
List Of Apps Affected By BlackRock Malware?
While BlackRock trojan does not have the same features as the previous-generation trojans, its target list makes it special. Though it is touted to affect a few hundreds of apps, it is not restricted only to these apps. Below is a list of some apps that are affected by BlackRock malware.
- Google Pay
- Amazon Shopping
- Facebook Messenger
- Facebook Lite
Besides the list of shopping, messaging, social media, banking and dating apps, the BlackRock malware also affects a slew of cryptocurrency wallets for data theft.
How Does BlackRock Malware Work?
BlackRock malware is quite similar to the other Android malware that we have seen. Once it is installed on a smartphone, it monitors the targeted app. As the user keys in the login or credit card information, the malware steals the information by sending the data to a server. BlackRock uses the device's Accessibility feature and an Android Device Policy Controller to grant access to other permissions.
When BlackRock is launched, it will be hidden from the app drawer so that it is invisible. Once the accessibility service privileges are granted, it can grant additional permissions that it needs to function without any issues. And, it can receive commands from the command-and-control server and carry out the overlay attacks. This malware will spam the messages inbox, read all the text messages, forward SMSes received to the bank's servers and send SMSes to others. It can read everything typed on the device, lock the phone's screen and gather all the notifications received.
If users try to uninstall the app with an antivirus app, then it will be redirect to the homescreen to avoid being discovered and deleted. Apps such as TrendMicro, Avast, AVG, Eset, BitDefender, Kaspersky, etc. will not be allowed to install on the device.