TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- New CBI Chief: It Could Be Modi VS Jaiswal
- India Vs Australia, 3rd ODI — Live Updates
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Xiaomi Mi 9 New Concept Render With Bezel-Less Display And More
- 7 Best SBI Mutual Fund Schemes To Invest Through SIP
- Why A Trip To Tabo Is The Best Himalayan Adventure You Will Ever Have
- Sidharth & Diana Penty's Grand Outfits
- Deepika Padukone Launches Children’s Book With Her Story; Sidharth Malhotra Takes Selfies With Fans
A group of cyber experts have revealed through a study that most of the GSM Cellular networks in India are highly vulnerable to attacks. This comes as a shocker to cellphone users across the country as the study also revealed that it is easy for hackers to impersonate users & make calls without the users' knowledge.
Matrix Shell is the name of the cyber experts group & they demonstrated as to how hackers operate. For this demonstration, a leading GSM service provider was hacked into & a call was made without the knowledge of either the service provider or the customer. One interesting fact to note here is that this demonstration was carried out without using a mobile phone or sim card.
Matrix Shell also explained that the unique identity number and the SIM card number use a separate number called the IMSI. The hackers hide their identity by masking the IMSI with a temporary identification number called the TMSI.
The protocols state that the TMSI has to be changed every time a call is made/received or when an sms is received/sent which is not implemented by a majority of the leading service providers. These service providers are also not implementing the encryption mechanism. This flaw is proving to be costly for them as hackers are easily impersonating genuine users in the absence of a proper encryption mechanism
The experts also stated that when the account of genuine users are hacked, the hackers can even misuse the money present in that account & even receive incoming calls. All these can be done without the users even having a faint idea.
Thus, the need of the hour for the GSM cellular service providers to implement a strict anti-hacking policy & bring all their associated members under this framework. Reply with your opinion in our comment section below.