- 12 hrs ago Samsung Galaxy S21+ CAD Renders Show Rear Camera, Flat Screen And More
- 13 hrs ago WD Purple SC QD101 MicroSD Review: Tailor-Made For Modern-Day Security Cameras
- 14 hrs ago Apple iPhone 12 Mini Vs iPhone SE 2020: The Best Small-Sized Phone
- 15 hrs ago Samsung Galaxy A02s Spotted On Geekbench Featuring Snapdragon 450 Chip
- News Improve economy instead of toppling govts: Uddhav Thackeray to BJP
- Finance Future Group-Reliance Deal Put On Hold On Amazon Arbitration Verdict: Report
- Sports Sabalenka too strong for Azarenka in Ostrava final
- Movies Neha Kakkar And Rohanpreet’s Special Performances & Other Videos From Their Wedding Day Go Viral
- Lifestyle 12 Simple Exercise Tips For People With Diabetes
- Automobiles 2020 Hyundai i20 Top-Spec DCT Variant Features Leaked: Could It Beat The Tata Altroz?
- Education CTET Score Validity: NCTE Extends Validity of CTET Score Card To Lifetime
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Tamil Nadu In November
Idea Hikes Mobile Data Rates by up to 100% in Delhi
Idea Cellular has hiked mobile data rates by up to 100 per cent for pre-paid customers in the NCR region, becoming the first telecom operator to raise the tariff after Rs 1.1 lakh crore spectrum auction in March.
The country's third largest telco has doubled the price for some 2G plans, while 3G will be costlier by about 33 per cent. The new rates came into effect from June 3. According to industry sources, the company also plans to increase the data tariffs in more circles in the coming days.
A company spokesperson did not reply to queries in this regard. Idea is the first telecom operator that has increased data tariffs after the March spectrum auction in which government received bids worth Rs 1.1 lakh crore.
Idea was successful in securing spectrum in nine telecom circles where its licences came up for renewal. The company was top bidder in the auction with total commitment of about Rs 30,300 crore.
Idea MD & CEO Himanshu Kapania had earlier said that post auction, there would be pressure on data prices, and tariff hike across circles may be necessary. As per the new rates, customers will now get only 1.5 GB of 2G mobile internet data for Rs 255 against 3 GB offered to them earlier at the same price.
The company has made changes in most of recharge vouchers for 2G and 3G services. Idea has reduced 3G mobile internet limit in its scheme offered for Rs 755. Its customers will get only 3 GB of mobile data for Rs 755 against 4 GB offered earlier, making this pack expensive by about 33 per cent.
Also, 1 GB, 3G pack with a validity of 28 days will now cost Rs 295 against Rs 249 earlier, while a 1 GB, 2G data pack will now come for Rs 195 with 28 days validity as against Rs 175 earlier.
The company has also reduced validity of various packs. For instance, customers will now get a validity of 7 days with a recharge of Rs 247 for 1 GB, while earlier it used to cost Rs 249 with 28 days validity.
Idea customers will have to pay 27.5 per cent more for 500 MB pack on 2G network. They will be charged Rs 125 for this pack compared to Rs 98 that they paid earlier. The company has also removed 3 GB plan on its 2G network.
In a bid to improve profitability, telecos have been cutting-back on discounts and freebies. Last year also, firms including Bharti Airtel, Vodafone and Idea had increased data as well as call tariffs.
After the March spectrum auction, industry associations had said there would be hike in tariffs as operators have to meet commitment to the government.