Top 25 most common passwords of 2014 has been listed by SplashData.As these common passwords are popularly used to steal the identities, they are easily guessable, thus making them to be the 'worst passwords' of 2014. SplashData released this 4th annual report based on 3.3 million leaked passwords. As per the SplashData these leaked passwords are mostly based in North America and Western Europe.
Millions of passwords from Russia are also leaked, but they're not included in this year's list. Back in the year 2011, the top two worst passwords were "123456" and "password," and these passwords still holds the top two spots in this year's list too. Some other passwords like "qwerty", "dragon" and "football" can be seen in the top 10.
Like in the previous year's annual report, usage of numerical passwords can be seen in this year too, nine out of top 25 are numerical passwords. For the first time, this list showed two new passwords, "696969" and "batman" as passwords. This list confirms that people are still using the same common passwords which can be guessed easily.
Recommended link: 5 Million Google Usernames Leaked Online Along with Passwords
"Passwords based on simple patterns on your keyboard remain popular despite how weak they are! Any password using numbers alone should be avoided, especially sequences. As more websites require stronger passwords or combinations of letters and numbers, longer keyboard patterns are becoming common passwords, and they are still not secure," said Morgan Slain, CEO of SplashData.
Top 25 most common passwords of 2014
|Rank||Password||Change from 2013|
Do's and Don't while creating a password (based on this year's list of common passwords):
1. Password should be more than 8 characters (combination of alphanumerical with special characters)
2. The user name and the password should be distinct for different websites.
3. Organize all of your passwords using a password manager.
4. Use Auto save password which will help you to automatically log into websites
5. Generate random passwords using a random text generator (online)
1. Avoid using the passwords in the same sequence that appear in the keyboard. (qwertyuiop, 123456, 1qaz2wsx etc)
2. Don't use favorite sport, favorite team, film name, actors names or birth years as they are weak.
3. Don't use the common names like Michael, Jennifer, Thomas etc as these are all present in the Top 50 this year.
4. Don't use your pet names, action characters etc