- 6 hrs ago Realme 10 Pro Coca-Cola Edition India Launch Confirmed: Pre-Booking May Earn Free Smartphone
- 7 hrs ago OPPO Reno8 T 5G First Look: Reigniting The Segment With Power-Packed Features
- 8 hrs ago Nokia C31 vs Samsung Galaxy M04: Comparison
- 8 hrs ago Sony to Remove PlayStation Plus Collection for PS5 From May 9
- News What Yogi Adityanath said on Boycott Bollywood trend
- Lifestyle Can Valentine's Day Have A Negative Influence On Romantic Partners?
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: Fahmaan Khan Spills Beans About Sumbul Touqeer’s Wedding; Says ‘Mujhe Lagta Hai….’
- Finance HDFC Bank- How to Get Customer ID or CIF Number?
- Sports ISL 2022-23: Cleiton Silva special stuns Kerala Blasters FC as East Bengal FC seal clinical win
- Travel Honeymoon special: Most Romantic cities in the World
- Automobiles Tata Harrier, Safari Red Dark Edition Launch In March – ADAS, Bigger Screen & More
- Education UGC NET December Exam 2022: Exam City Intimation Link will be available soon; Check Details Here
Is Metaverse The Future Of Social Media? Facebook Name Change Strategy Explained
Facebook, the social media conglomerate has officially changed its name to Meta. However, the product Facebook will remain unchanged. The parent company that owns services such as WhatsApp, Instagram, Oculus, Messenger, and Facebook will now be known as Meta.
What Is Meta?
The word "meta" in itself is derived from a Greek word that stands for after or beyond. If you are a software engineer, then you might have already heard the term meta-data, which is a set of data that holds information about other data.
Meta And Metaverse Explained
Facebook's mastermind Zuckerberg has a very good reason for naming his parent company Meta, as he is all set to expand his social media platform, one which involves AR and VR. According to the official website, metaverse will be the next evolution of social connection.
If you have seen the movie Ready Player One by Steven Spielberg, then you already know what metaverse is. It is a virtual world, where everyone has their digital avatar and can interact with each other. Again, this will be like an open-world game, where, a user might have to pay a certain fee to unlock various feature sets.
Metaverse will have 3D spaces, where users can learn, play, make social connections, and even make business. However, unlike the regular social media platforms, the metaverse is not just an app that can be installed into a smartphone and start using.
To get an immersive metaverse experience, one needs devices like smart glasses and VR headsets like the Oculus Quest 2, which are as expensive as a premium smartphone. On top of that, they also need a high-speed internet connection to build the virtual world in real-time, hence, it is actually quite expensive to get into the metaverse.
Facebook, which is now known as Meta is investing a lot of money into developing training AR and VR resources. Just like any social media platform, the more the number of users more the fun. It does look like Meta will invest a lot of time and resources into building a metaverse and make it into a profitable company.
Meta Might Sell VR headsets At A Subsidised Price
Facebook might just apply the console-market concept, where the company could start selling the VR headsets at a discount and then make money using the in-platform purchases. In fact, Mark also confirms that the company is developing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas along with Rockstar studio, which will soon be available for Oculus users.
Metaverse Is An Ambitious World
Metaverse is an ambitious world, to say the least. Given the fact that it requires additional hardware, it might not get as successful as Facebook or Instagram, especially in price-sensitive markets like India. We have seen a lot of Sci-Fi products from Silicon Valley, and this is definitely the one with a lot of potential.