- 9 min ago Last Week most Trending Smartphones In India: Poco X3 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Google Pixel 6a And More
- 7 hrs ago Xiaomi To Launch 120W Smartphone In India: What To Expect?
- 8 hrs ago Oppo Enco Free 2, Enco Air Lite Earbuds Spotted On Oppo's HeyMelody App; India Launch Likely
- 8 hrs ago Infinix InBook X1 Series Launching In December In India; Here's What To Expect
- Sports IPL 2022 Retention, Highest Earning Players: Rohit, Pant, Jadeja become most expensive players
- News Omicron scare: 7-day institutional quarantine for those arriving Maharashtra from `at risk' countries
- Movies Marakkar Grand Trailer Sets Social Media On Fire; Mohanlal Has THIS To Say About The Film!
- Finance 2 Big Bank Stocks To Buy As Motilal Oswal Increases Overweight Stance
- Education NTA Likely To Hold CET For UG And PG Courses In Central Universities From Academic Session 2022-23, Hints UGC
- Automobiles Spy Pics: Undisguised Yezdi Roadking Adventure Spotted Testing
- Lifestyle Tennis Star Maria Sharapova Inspires Us To Try The Dewy-Fresh Wet Makeup Look This Winters
- Travel Budget Friendly Winter Places To Visit Around Bhubaneswar
Facebook Working On New Name To Create A Metaverse: All You Need To Know
Facebook has become synonymous with social media. As it owns both WhatsApp and Instagram, Facebook's umbrella has included a major part of the global population. But looks like a lot of things are about to change at Facebook. A report suggests Facebook could change its name as early as next week at the annual Connect conference on October 28.
It seems that Facebook wants to be known for more than just a social media platform and all the backlash it receives because of it. The report comes from The Verge, who got the information from an insider who's in direct talks of the name change. However, a Facebook spokesperson declined to comment more on this.
Facebook To Get New Name
That said, The Verge recollects a statement by CEO Mark Zuckerberg from back in July, stating that Facebook "will effectively transition from people seeing us as primarily being a social media company to being a metaverse company." Presently, Facebook has a lot of branches apart from social media and messaging platforms. For instance, Facebook Oculus builds next-gen AR glasses.
Zuckerberg strongly believes that the AR glasses are going to overpower smartphones and there's going to be a massive transition in the coming years. This also means that the social media giant has begun laying the groundwork for the change in name (and identity). For instance, Facebook has already setup a dedicated metaverse team.
More recently, Facebook announce plans to hire 10,000 more employees to work on the metaverse in Europe. The metaverse is "going to be a big focus, and I think that this is just going to be a big part of the next chapter for the way that the internet evolves after the mobile internet," Zuckerberg previously told the publication.
Facebook New Name, New Identity: A Metaverse
But what exactly is a metaverse? The publication further recalls the term was coined by sci-fi novelist Neal Stephenson to describe a virtual world where people escape to from a dystopian, real world. Does this mean Facebook wants people to further escape reality and spend more time on its platform? And what difference does it really make from the existing platform?
Facebook has been under a lot of heat recently with a back-to-back outage on its platform. Additionally, a former employee turned whistleblower, Frances Haugen, recently testified in front of Congress to explain how Facebook puts its own interest in front of what's good for the people, especially teenagers.
Facebook brought out a couple of new features just as anti-trust regulators grilled the company with the newfound evidence. Moreover, public trust in how Facebook works has also been steadily diminishing. Reports suggest there's been a massive shift as a lot of people have begun quitting Facebook and its subsidiaries in recent times.
Facebook New Name: What Does It Mean?
In this scenario, getting a new name and an identity makes sense to Facebook. If the company could put behind the massive anti-trust spotlight it's under and move on - it would need a new identity. Facebook believes the new name and identity with gadgets like AR and VR glasses would help achieve this.
Presently, the new Facebook name is still under wraps and there are no leaks yet. If the company plans to change it next week, we could be hearing more of the new Facebook name in the coming days.