TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Scribe Murder Case: Gurmeet Ram Rahim, 3 Others Get Life Imprisonment
- India vs Australia, 3rd ODI: Preview
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Xiaomi Mi 9 New Concept Render With Bezel-Less Display And More
- 7 Best SBI Mutual Fund Schemes To Invest Through SIP
- Why A Trip To Tabo Is The Best Himalayan Adventure You Will Ever Have
- Sidharth & Diana Penty's Grand Outfits
- Deepika Padukone Launches Children’s Book With Her Story; Sidharth Malhotra Takes Selfies With Fans
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) may withdraw the enforcement powers of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). The telecom authority is trying to cut short some of the key functions of TRAI. Currently, TRAI looks after the job of issuing licenses and monitoring quality parameters. This control over licenses may be taken away from TRAI by the telecom authority.
DoT is also entrusted with the job of enforcing license conditions and it was a common notion in an internal meeting, that there was no need of another authority for the same. It was also said that issuing terms and conditions for distribution of licenses can be done by a single organization.
The members of the internal DoT meeting also noted that terms and conditions are issued by the licensor and an agreement is reached with the telecom companies by the telecom authority who is the licensee.
TRAI is likely to be given the responsibility of studying the issues in detail which involves and demands stakeholder's consultation. The final policy will be formulated by the Department of Telecommunications.
The official sources say that TRAI was given the responsibility of enforcing terms and conditions for issuing licenses in 1997 as DoT by itself was a service provider at that time. It is the duty of the telecom regulator to issue license terms and conditions.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India and the Department of Telecommunications have not been in the best of terms for a while now and this move is a clear indication of the same.