The Asus Nexus 7 (2012) tablet has recently received the official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update with build number LMY47V, and here is a custom ROM supporting the latest operating system with new tweaks and customization options.
The custom ROM by Chroma, is visually same as the official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and you will not see any difference in the visuals. The custom ROM also includes number of custom features and tweaks to make the device run more smoother than the official firmware.
You can update Nexus 7 to Chroma Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware using this tutorial. This is not an official release by Asus, but just a custom ROM, which requires a custom recovery tool like ClockworkMod in order to install ROM and Google Apps to the tablet.
Chroma Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM Details
The custom ROM by Chroma comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Here is a list of key features of this custom ROM on Nexus 7.
- Franco Kernel
- Layers 2.1 support
- Native LED notification
- Status Bar customization includes: battery style, clock & date, brightness control, double-tap status bar to turn off screen, heads up notification and advance location tile.
- Navigation bar customization includes
- Lock screen customization
- Power menu customization
- Volume rocker customization includes, wake device with volume keys when screen off, long press volume up/down keys to skip track when screen off and volume key cursor control.
- AOSP Gallery 2 with material design
- Memory leak fixes
Here is a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM by Chroma for Nexus 7. If you are used to install custom ROM on Android, then this should not be any different for installing on Nexus 7. For beginners, don't forget to read all the points mentioned in the tutorial before installation.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is highly technical. If the device brick or damaged during the installation process, GizBot cannot be held responsible for any kind of damage for the smartphone. Hence, the user has to perform the installation on their own risk.]
Points to Remember
1. Backup all the important data, additional files and settings of the tablet.
2. Make sure that your Nesus 7 has atleast 60 percent or above battery charge to avoid power off during the installation process.
3. Ensure USB drivers of the tablet are installed on your computer.
4. Disable all security lock including pattern lock, pin, etc. in the tablet.
5. This tutorial of installing Chroma Android 5.1.1 ROM is only for the Asus Nexus 7 (2012) tablet.
6. The Nexus 7 should be rooted and have CloclworlMod recovery installed.
7. Download below files to your computer.
Chroma Android 5.1.1 ROM (filename: chroma_grouper-ota-2015-04-22.zip)
GApps (Google Apps)
Complete Step-by-step Installation Guide
Step 1: Connect and mount the Nexus 7 to your computer using USB cable.
Step 2: Copy and past both downloaded zip files (Android 5.1.1 ROM and Google Apps to the SD card root.
Do not paste the downloaded zip files to device memory or inside any other folders.
Step 3: After copying the files to SD card, switch off the device and disconnect from PC.
Step 4: Now boot the Nexus 7 to Recovery Mode, by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together.
Step 5: Once you are in the ClockworkMod Recovery, perform full data wipe by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select, while operating in the recovery mode.
Step 6: Now, clear the cache memory of the device by choosing 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 7: Go back to recovery mode and select 'advance' and choose 'wipe dalvik cache' to perform complete wipe.
This step is optional, but it is recommended to perform delvik cache wipe, as it will prevent boot loops or any other errors.
Step 8: Now go back to main menu of the recovery mode and select 'install zip from SD card'.
Navigate to the SD card root and select the Android 5.1.1 custom ROM zip file which you have downloaded earlier. Installing custom ROM might take few minutes, do not interrupt the installation process.
Step 9: Repeat the step 8 to install Google Apps, after the custom ROM installation completes.
Step 10: Reboot the Nexus 7 from recovery mode by selecting 'reboot system now'. The tablet will take at least 5 to 10 minutes to boot for the first time with custom ROM installed.
Once the device starts, finish all recommended setups and verify the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom build installed on the device. To verify, go to device Settings >> About Phone and check details.
Source: Team Android