The OTA update comes in different firmware build for different region and carrier partners. The Sprint, U.S. Cellular and the international models will get update with build number LMY47Z, while the T-Mobile version will be updated with build number LYZ28E.
Nexus 6 owners can downloaded the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update by checking the OTA update in the device settings. To do so, navigate to the device's Settings >> About Device and select 'Software Update' option to download and install the update automatically.
However, if you miss to install the update automatically, the tutorial will guide you on how to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA update on Nexus 6 smartphone.
Points to remember
1. Backup all the important data, additional files and settings of the Nexus 6.
2. Make sure that your Nexus 6 has atleast 80 percent or above battery charge to avoid power off during the installation process.
3. Ensure the bootloader of the smartphone is unlocked. (Note: Unlocking the bootloader will void the device's warranty)
4. Disable all security lock including pattern lock, pin, etc. in the Nexus 6.
5. This is a stock Android 5.1.1 firmware released by Google only for the above mentioned variants of Nexus smartphone. Installing this firmware on any other smartphones or on other model of Nexus could brick the device.
Step-by-Step Installation process of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for Nexus 6 using ADB Sideload
Step 1: Downloaded and install Android SDK to your computer correctly. Follow the instruction provided and install the SDK correctly to your computer.
Step 2: Enable Developer Mode: To enable navigate to device Settings >> About Phone and tap on Build Number seven times until a dialogue box appears 'You are now a developer'.
Step 3: Enable USB Debugging: To enable USB Debugging go to Settings >> Developer Options >> Enable USB Debugging.
Step 4: Connect the Nexus device to the computer and click allow USB debugging on the device.
Step 5: Ensure the device is connected to PC and the serial number of the Nexus is showing as connected device. Or type the following command < adb devices > (without tags) to see the serial number with the name of the device.
Step 6: Boot Nexus into Recover mode by following command < adb rebook bootloader >.
Step 7: When the Nexus is in Recovery mode, navigate using volume keys and select 'apply update from ADB' using power button.
Step 8: Now type the command < adb sideload [OTA file name].zip > in the comment prompt.
Step 9: The command prompt will show the progress of transferring the update to the Nexus 6 .
Step 10: The Nexus 6 will automatically restart, once the update is completed. Now your Nexus device should be running the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop operating system.
[Note: This procedure is technical. If the smartphone brick or damaged during the installation process, GizBot cannot be held responsible for any kind of damage for the smartphone. Hence, the user has to perform the installation on their own risk.]