- World’s first text message was sent 25 years ago on 3rd Dec 1992
- Text Speak – Things that are surprisingly older in the internet world
- Samsung to bring RCS messaging support to its phones running Marshmallow or above
- Google inks a deal with Telenor to bring RCS messaging services to Europe and Asia
- How to Access the Internet without Any Data Plan
- How to Select Your New BSNL Mobile Number by SMS
If you are an avid texter, then you're likely to come across SMSes where you are asked to click on a link to subscribe some free ringtone service or send some amount of money to a certain number.
All these are scams. As more and more people becoming victims of text message scams, mobile service providers have cautioned the users of such illicit activities. There are several ways to identify SMS as a scam.
Here at GIZBOT we have brought you 5 common signs of scam SMS.
Sign 1: Message from an 11-digit mobile number
A normal phone number consists of 10 digits. But if you receive a message where the sender's phone number has 11 digits, then it is likely to be a scam.
Sign 2: Involves Some Amount of Money
If an SMS asks you to send some money to any particular account, then beware as it can be a scam. Verify the sender first.
Sign 3: Send Message to Other Number
Often text message scams aim to extort money or load credits. In such cases, you might be asked to send an SMS with a message format to another mobile number for an alleged refund.
Sign 4: Winning Jackpot or Lottery
One of the very common SMS scams involves some sort of Jackpot or prize. Along with that, you might be asked to click on some link to claim the prize.
Sign 5: Asking for Donation from Government Departments
Government agencies and departments never ask for donations through text messages. If you have ever received such message, never response. It can be a scam.