There are a lot of Sony Playstation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 users. Nintendo Wii, another popular video game console, also has a number of users. The controller of the Nintendo Wii is called Wiimote.
You might have noticed that PS3 and Xbox360 controllers use Bluetooth connectivity to work properly. But Wiimote is different. It must be kept at the direct line of sight of the console’s remote sensor, as it is powered by batteries instead of Bluetooth.
Wiimote can be used to connect to your computer, after pairing it with the system using Bluetooth. After pairing, the Wiimote will appear in “My Bluetooth Places” of your computer.
First you have to pair Wiimote with the computer. The following is the complete procedure to add Wiimote to My Bluetooth Places of your computer.
- Click the Start button in the desktop window and then select Control Panel from the window which opens
- Double Click on “Bluetooth Devices” in the Control panel window
- When a window opens listing all the paired Bluetooth devices, click “Add” button
- Clicking the Add button will open “Add Bluetooth Device Window”
- Press down the latch at the back of the Wiimote and remove the back cover to insert the AA batteries, and then close the cover
- Press the “1” and “2” buttons at the bottom of the Wiimote, which then lights up all the four lights at the bottom of the Wiimote
- Check “My device is set up and ready to be found" on the window in your computer screen
- Click the “Next” button which will then make your computer detect and show all the Bluetooth enabled devices in the area
- Select "Nintendo RVL-CNT-01" icon and then click “Next”
- Click the button which is next to the “Don’t use a passkey” prompt, and click “Next”
- Click Finish to show the Wiimote in you Bluetooth places
That’s about it. But there are a few things that you should keep in mind. If you are a Windows XP user, then you have to take care of certain things first before connecting the Wiimote to your computer. Windows XP users actually don’t have the software to interpret the signals from the Wiimote controller.
So you have to install the software manually first. If you want to use the Wiimote with a software program, install Bluetooth software packages such as BlueSoleil, and Smoothboard. Keep in mind that you will also be able to connect your Nintendo Wii Wiimote controller to the PC even if your PC isn’t Bluetooth enabled.