TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Between 2004 And 2018, National Parties Collected Rs 8721.14 Crore From Unknown Sources
- India Beats New Zealand In 1st ODI — Catch The Highlights
- New Mahindra Thar Model’s Spy Pics Out Again — Is It The Largest Indian Off-Roader Ever Made?
- Best Smartphones With Android Pie To Buy In India 2019
- What Are MSMEs Expecting From The Interim Budget 2019?
- Ajay Devgn Shares His Opinion On MeToo Movement
- The Surreal Mahoba, An Offbeat Gem In Uttar Pradesh
- Why Sleep With Your Socks On?
Expect a launch in January 2017
Last month, we at GIZBOT informed you about the company's plans to introduce VoLTE-enabled feature phone line-up by the end of this year or in the first quarter of 2017. Some latest reports suggest that Reliance plans to launch two 4G feature phones early next year.
Unlimited Voice and Video calls
The new Feature phones will come with unlimited voice and video calling. These Feature phones will support 4G connectivity and will offer free internet services to the rural and tier-III markets in India.
No Touchscreen but will work like a Smartphone
While the phones will be 4G and VoLTE enabled and will work like smartphones, they will not feature a touch screen. They will have a standard keypad with a display, good enough to browse web and access other internet services. The phones will also have front and rear cameras. As per Economic times, Reliance is working with Lava to manufacture the handsets.
As we reported earlier in October, the Spreadtrum 9820 processor will provide the VoLTE feature to Reliance feature phones.
Light on Pocket
These features phones will be priced between Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 1,500, giving consumers in rural and tier-III cities a chance to access free voice and fast internet services.
Effect on Market
As noted, feature phones still dominate the Indian market with more than 50 percent share and remain the first preference of people in small towns and rural areas. Reliance wants to tap this wider audience base with its VoLTE enabled feature phones.
The upcoming launches will come as a huge disruption as through VoLTE enable feature phones, people would be able to access all Reliance Jio services, such as data and free voice calls, which as of now is only possible with Android and iOS smartphones.