TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- India’s Crorepatis Have Increased By 60 Per Cent: CBDT
- How To Avail 20% Discount On iPhone XR Purchase
- Here's Why Manikgad Fort Near Mumbai Should Be Your Next Destination
- Homemade Aloe Vera Moisturiser For Oily Skin
- Radhika On #MeToo: I Love That This Movement Has Come Here!
- Hero Destini 125 First Ride Review — A Cost-Effective But Premium Scooter
- Deodhar Trophy: Chance For Ashwin, Rahane, Raina And Karthik To Remain In ODI Reckoning
- Rupee In Trouble With Year-end Forecast At 76.50 Per US Dollar
The work towards bezel-less display is growing at the fast pace as all the necessary steps are being taken. First is the 18:9 aspect ratio, which gave us bigger screens by slimming down the bezels on smartphones, moving the position of the fingerprint scanner to rear and more. While fingerprint scanner in the rear turns out to be old school, Vivo has come up with the future tech -- under-display fingerprint technology.
Synaptics announced this hardware several months ago, and Vivo is the first company to grab the offer. The prototype of the Vivo's under-display fingerprint technology includes Synaptics in-display fingerprint reader. It has its limitations, where it only work with the phones that use OLED displays as the sensor looks through the spaces between subpixels from under the panel.
Talking about the working, the company uses an ultrasonic sensor underneath the display and follows the principle of piezoelectric effects. When we touch/apply stress on the surface, the ultrasonic signals are exchanged which travel through the OLED screen. While it travels on the surface, it creates a 3D map of the fingerprint under the display.
Once we touch or apply stress on the surface, our fingerprint is registered. Moreover, if the reports turn out to be true, it might work with metal, and also a certain type of plastic apart from OLED. Apart from placing it under the display, it can be embedded behind the rear panel too.
While most of the capacitive fingerprint scanners fail when our hands are wet, the under display which is claimed to be waterproof, dustproof, and sweat proof, will prove to be effective. Saying that it is at the starting stage and it needs some software tweaks that not acts as a fingerprint scanner but allow gesture recognition, security verification, and more.