- 3 hrs ago Honor 20 series to be available on Flipkart: Here are the details
- 4 hrs ago Oppo A9x goes official with 48MP primary rear camera and dewdrop notch display
- 4 hrs ago Realme gifts Royal Enfield Bullet bikes to 4 lucky draw winners
- 4 hrs ago Vivo iQOO Space Knight limited edition announced: What’s the difference?
- News Eiffel Tower evacuated after man climbs the Paris landmark
- Sports Teams will probably be most fearful of Australia, says Steve Waugh
- Automobiles Flash Electronics Files Suit Against Royal Enfield — Are The Good Times Over?
- Movies When This Popular Actor Found Himself In A Soup Due To His 'Hot Jalebi' Remark About Anushka Shetty
- Education Goa Board SSC Result 2019 Will Be Declared Tomorrow At 11 AM
- Lifestyle Foods That Help You Heal After Quitting Smoking
- Finance How To Choose Between Fixed And Floating Interest Rate On Home Loan?
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Exclusive: Reliance to launch Feature Phones with VoLTE support in India soon
Reliance may soon introduce VoLTE-supported feature phones in the Indian market to reach a wider audience.
In an exclusive conversation with anonymous sources, GIZBOT has learnt that Reliance will unveil VoLTE-enabled feature phone line-up by the end of this year or in the first quarter of 2017.
Feature phones still dominate the Indian market with more than 50 percent share and remain the first preference of people in small towns and rural areas. Reliance wants to tap this wider audience base with its VoLTE enabled feature phones.
Why is this important?
This will come as a huge disruption as through VoLTE enable feature phones, people would be able to access all Reliance Jio services, such as data and free voice calls, which as of now is only possible with Android and iOS smartphones.
It is noteworthy, VoLTE is a software only feature, but it's also dependent on hardware to provide it access to run internet and make calls over voice over LTE.
People in the know-how told Gizbot the VoLTE-enabled feature phones will come with Spreadtrum 9820 processor, which will provide the VoLTE feature to Reliance feature phones.
The chipsets from Spreadtrum will enable VoLTE capability on feature phones to access Relinace Jio services. This will give Reliance a chance to tap the user base who are still using 2G network to access internet. Spreadtrum Communications has previously designed chipsets for Samsung Z2 Tizen based smartphone, Samsung J2 handset, Galaxy tab 7.0, and some other smartphones selling in Brazil and other parts of the world.
Reliance has already triggered a pricing war by introducing dirt cheap 4G voice and data plans with Jio. Following intense competition, other incumbent telecom operators cut data rates and introduced new plans to match the competition.
Moreover, smartphone makers are also affected by the move, as they have to make their phones VoLTE enabled to support Reliance Jio services.
Meanwhile, internet rates are further expected to come down resulting in wider internet penetration in the country in 2017.
GIZBOT sent an e-mail questionnaire to Reliance but the company has not responded as yet