Alibaba to launch online video streaming service in China [Report]

Posted By:

    China's tech giant Alibaba Group is prepping to launch its online video streaming service in home country in next two months. The company has reportedly named this new service as Tmall Box Office (TBO).

    Alibaba to launch online video streaming service in China [Report]

    Alibaba's head of digital entertainment, Patrick Liu, has told Reuters that the company's goal is to make match the success of services like the U.S.'s Netflix and HBO. "Our mission, the mission of all of Alibaba, is to redefine home entertainment," Liu told. "Our goal is to become like HBO in the United States, to become like Netflix in the United States," he added

    SEE ALSO: Top 10 Best Smartphones under Rs 10,000 To Buy in June 2015

    As for its content, the company will be tying up with content providers in China as well as in other countries. Alibaba will also produce the content in-house, as hinted earlier this year when the company announced its association with one of China's popular director for a movie production.

    With this service, the ecommerce giant in China will not only be taking on its competitor in the online video market in China, but will also be pitting against Amazon Prime.

    SEE ALSO: Must Check: Top 10 Best Samsung smartphones in India this July

    The company will charge for about 90 percent of TBO's content on the basis of monthly subscription or on a show-by-show basis, and offer the remaining 10 percent for free.

    Meanwhile, Netflix too plans an entry in the Chinese market, which will intensify the competition in the market.

    Source Reuters

    Read More About: news alibaba internet
    X

    Stay updated with latest technology news & gadget reviews - Gizbot

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Gizbot sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Gizbot website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more