TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Why BJP Decided To Drop 10 Incumbent MPs For Chhattisgarh LS Polls
- Indian Premier League IPL 2019: Full Schedule, Date, Time, Venue Of All 56 League Matches
- Realme Opens Its First Service Centre In New Delhi
- Harley-Davidson Launches Two New Models In India
- Best Mutual Funds For Monthly Dividend Income In India
- Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota Movie Review
- Her Fake Braces Did This To Her!
- Explore The Laid-Back Trails Of Panaji, Goa
Google doodles Gideon Sundback's birthday
As you open the Google homepage today, you can see the page unzips to open the search engine results page. This is a doodle to commemorate the 132nd birthday of Gideon Sundback, the Swedish engineer. Sundback invented the zipper about a century ago.
He was born on April 24, 1880 and started working for a firm that designed and manufactured fasteners. Sundback finalized his design in 1913 and it has a zipper with interlocking oval scoops. The earlier designs had hooks. The oval scoops are easy to interlock simply by moving the slider. The patent application for this new invention was filed in 1914 and it was issued in 1917.
At that time, it was not called the zipper but was referred to as separable fastener. BF Goodrich Company made the word zipper popular and used it for its products. The zipper finds its place in many of the inventions in the world.
Today's doodle is for the 132nd birthday of Gideon Sundback. It appears like a jacket front with the Google logo embroidered on it. The zipper runs through the middle of the logo separating the second 'o'. If you want to known about the doodle, you can click on the logo as usual or simply unzip it to reveal the results page.
More Google Doodles