TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Selection Panel To Meet On January 24 To Decide On New CBI Director
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Flipkart Republic Day Sale Starts From January 20: Deals And Offers
- Kohli Wants To See India As A Superpower In Test Cricket
- Company Fixed Deposits In India Which Offer Yields Of Near 10%
- Visit Yanam: The French Counterpart Of The Southern Peninsula
- Kareena Kapoor Khan's Latest Airport Look Is Laidback And About Flared Denims
- Birthday Boy Sidharth Malhotra Cuts Cake At Midnight! Pics!
GizBot previously reported that IRCTC will be allowing customers to easily book railway tickets from mobile phones, by simply sending a SMS. Well the new service aimed at improving customer convenience, is live and running now.
"In order to give improved customer service and empower the common man who does not have access to internet and cannot afford to buy smart phones, we are today launching SMS ticket booking service", said Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge.
How To Book The Ticket?
Step 1: First, you will need to open a mobile money account with a bank.
Step 2: Once this is done, you are sent a payment gateway and a password for it.
Step 3: Now you can send an SMS with travel details to 139 or 5676714 and book a rail ticket.
Step 4: You can SMS HELP TRN to 54959 and get the list of services and their commands.
Reportedly the online booking facility for railways grown by 45 %, easing the rush at counters to great extent. How ever only a minor percentage of the population has access to Internet. "While internet access in India is only about 10 per cent, mobiles are now in easy reach and more than 80 per cent people in our country use mobile phones," said Kharge.
"This service will be improved further with provision of more payment options, user-friendly interface and value added services like alerts and updates," Mittal said.
"Payment through mobiles is still in an evolving state and commercial Banks, RBI and National Payment Corporation of India are working on providing a safe, secured and quick payment mechanism through mobile." he added.
It has also been informed that Rs. 3 will be charged per SMS sent and payment gateway charges would be Rs. 5 for ticket amount up to Rs. 5,000 and Rs.10 for tickets which would amount to more than Rs. 5,000.