TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Dailyhunt Trust Of The Nation Poll: Can 'Modi Wave' Help BJP Retain Power?
- Jio Rs. 1,699 Prepaid Plan Offers 1.5GB Data For 365 Days; 100% Cashback Offer Announced
- 7 Surprising Facts About The Controversial Sabarimala Temple
- Does Olive Oil Help To Lighten The Skin
- Bigg Boss 12 Spoiler: Karanvir Bohra, Anup Jalota & Many Others’ SECRETS To Be Revealed!
- MG Motor To Launch Pure-Electric SUV In India By 2020
- Ashwin, Rahane, Karthik Set To Play In Deodhar Trophy
- Top 5 Government Jobs On Oct 18: NPCIL, JKPSC, DRDO, BOB And BECIL
Quad-core System-On-Chip (SOC) solutions for affordable smartphones was released by Media Tek today, December 12, 2012. The company claims it to be the first SOC with a quad-core processor with several distinguishing features.
It has a multi mode modem that does UMTS/HSPA+ and TDSCDMA, quad- core cortex A7 CPU, GPU from imagination technologies, Power VR series 5XT. It also supports dual-sim capabilities, peculiar to all Media Tek offerings. Both the radios are active simultaneously in dual-sim capacities.
The devices running on MT6589 will be available from the first quarter of 2013 as per the recent announcement. This SOC supports conversion of 2D to 3D, full-HD 1080p displays, stereo 3 D cameras and13 megapixel cameras. This technology has a number of noteworthy features but not without a competitor. Last week, Qualcomm also announced a similar SOC solution with quad core chipset.
This was again targeting the large market of affordable smartphones. This chipset may be better than the one from Media Tek performance wise. Media Tek may, however, counter this by making it available for a lower rate than Qualcomm.
The year 2013 heavy competition can be expected for smartphones and tablets. So much so that we may be able to purchase for Rs. 20,000 devices with quad- core chipsets and 720p displays.