TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- "Prevent Black Day," Says Retired HC Judge
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Mobiles Republic Day 2019 — Discounts On Best Smartphones
- From Kohli To Dhoni; Five Reasons Behind India's Win In 2nd ODI
- Every Place You Need To Visit If You Are A First-Timer In Una
- Strange Case Of A Woman Who Cannot Hear Male Voices
- Company Fixed Deposits In India Which Offer Yields Of Near 10%
- Emraan Justifies Himself After Calling Aishwarya 'Plastic'
Quad-core System-On-Chip (SOC) solutions for affordable smartphones was released by Media Tek today, December 12, 2012. The company claims it to be the first SOC with a quad-core processor with several distinguishing features.
It has a multi mode modem that does UMTS/HSPA+ and TDSCDMA, quad- core cortex A7 CPU, GPU from imagination technologies, Power VR series 5XT. It also supports dual-sim capabilities, peculiar to all Media Tek offerings. Both the radios are active simultaneously in dual-sim capacities.
The devices running on MT6589 will be available from the first quarter of 2013 as per the recent announcement. This SOC supports conversion of 2D to 3D, full-HD 1080p displays, stereo 3 D cameras and13 megapixel cameras. This technology has a number of noteworthy features but not without a competitor. Last week, Qualcomm also announced a similar SOC solution with quad core chipset.
This was again targeting the large market of affordable smartphones. This chipset may be better than the one from Media Tek performance wise. Media Tek may, however, counter this by making it available for a lower rate than Qualcomm.
The year 2013 heavy competition can be expected for smartphones and tablets. So much so that we may be able to purchase for Rs. 20,000 devices with quad- core chipsets and 720p displays.