- 44 min ago Amazon Gaming Gadgets Sale: Discount Offer On Gaming Devices
- 7 hrs ago Vivo V21e 5G Leaked Hours Ahead Of India Launch; Cheaper Than OnePlus Nord CE 5G?
- 8 hrs ago Vivo Tablet Confirmed To Arrive In Q4 2021; Expected Features, Price
- 8 hrs ago Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE, Galaxy Tab A7 Lite Begins Sale In India With Introductory Discount Offers
- Sports Euro 2020: Slovakia vs Spain: Statistical Highlights: Enrique's side notch thumping 5-0 win to enter knockouts
- News PM Modi's meeting with Jammu and Kashmir leaders: Kashmir Valley on alert | Top Developments
- Movies Aparshakti Khurana Reveals If He Is Going To Be Strict Or Cool Dad
- Finance FMCG Companies Log Sales Growth After Unlock 2.0:
- Education Lucknow University To Offer Course In Philosophical Counselling
- Automobiles Volvo India Introduces Subscription Plans — Here’s How You Can Subscribe To A Volvo Car In India
- Lifestyle Jyeshtha Purnima 2021: Muhurat, Rituals And Significance Of This Day
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In July
Microsoft Windows Turns 30: A Look at Different Versions Since 1985!
The Redmond giant Microsoft, who started the PC revolution, launched its first Windows version on November 20th ,1985. Today, Bill Gate's company is celebrating its successful 30th anniversary of the ever-famous Windows OS.
Basically, Microsoft introduced an operating system named Windows, as a graphical operating system for MS-DOS in reply to the growing interest in Graphical User Interfaces. Anyhow, the product line-up has been changed drastically over the years from GUI product to user friendly OS.
Let's go back in time and have a look at Microsoft Windows timeline on how it evolved from 1984 to 2015 in chronological order:
Windows 1.0 and 2.x
Windows version 1 was released by Microsoft in November 1985. Both the Windows version 1.0 and 2.x were graphical extension of MS-DOS.
Windows 1.0 and 2.x
The ever famous "Control Panel" made its first appearance in 2.0 and has been in every version since. Anyhow, the sales of both these OS are very poor.
Windows 3.x & NT 3.X
Windows 3.0 was released after Microsoft and IBM had a falling out regarding their OS, Windows and OS/2 respectively.
Windows 3.0 is the first version of Windows to support "TrueType scalable fonts." With these version support for multimedia and networking applications has increased.
Windows 95 was released in August 1995 and sold more than 1 million copies within 4 days and 7 millions in 5 weeks.
It is the first version of Windows to include the evergreen "Start menu and Takbar." Moreover, this version of Windows came equipped with Plug and Play support, built-in Internet support and enhanced multimedia capabilities. Also, the Windows 95 is the first OS to equip FAT32 file system.
After the successful 95, the Redmond giant Microsoft launched Windows 98 in June 1998 targeting average consumers. This OS version supported the USB device and DVD's. Seems to be a long way, isn't it ?
Moreover, the Internet Explorer was integrated into the desktop to experience a unique Internet experience.
Windows 2000 was released on February 2000 marketing itself as "NT 5".
Windows Me (Millenium Edition)
The so-called Millenium Edition was released on June 2000 with the marketing focus being on the numerous multimedia and home networking enhancements available with this edition.
This ME edition included Media Player 7 and Movie Maker, an audio and video player and movie creation program, not available with any previous version of windows.
The most user friendly Windows XP was released on October 2001 for both home and business users. The so-called XP included support for remote desktop services, file system encryption, support for wireless devices and network and remote assistance.
It comes with upgraded specs, including 64-bit Edition for 64-bit processor, Media Centre Edition focussing on watching movies, television and musics.
Windows Vista was released in 2006 with security features and data protection, which was not available in previous editions. Microsoft redesigned GUI to look sleeker and faster than previous versions.
After 3 years of Vista, the company has released Windows 7 on October 2009. This version comes with multi touch, faster booting and improved window management.
Following Windows 7, Microsoft launched its successor dubbed as Windows 8 with major-overhaul in the interface.
In this version, the company removed the Start Menu and replaced it with live tiles features. Microsoft made Windows 8 keeping touch screen and tablet PC's in mind.
After disappointing reviews, Gate's company bought back the "Start menu" in Windows 10 and also introduced more features like Cortana, Microsoft Edge, Xbox One streaming to PC's.