- Remix OS for PC: 10 Cool Features of this Android flavoured Windows 10 look alike OS!
- Lephone launches a new smartphone brand with Dazen 6A
- How to enable Material Theme redesign on Android Messages
- How to read text aloud on Android
- Sharp might have discreetly launched an Android One Aquos S3
- Indian Railways introduces UTS app to book unreserved tickets
Remix OS, which came out yesterday, brings Android to desktop PC. The new Remix OS turns Android into a windowed desktop environment with the ability to multitask, similar to the Windows operating system.
Android is not built for a keyboard and mouse, but Jide, developer of RemixOS, wants to change it by adding Android to the desktop environment with windowed apps and do a lot more.
The Jide Remix OS is available for download and is a 700 MB file. However, it must be noted that the Remix OS is more like a beta version of software often released for developers. Therefore the Remix OS is not really for end-consumers but for people who are comfortable with the new software and will know how to use it.
The Remix OS is based on the Android-x86 project. It requires a 64-bit CPU. The Remix OS is compatible with 64-bit CPU's. However it will require a USB 3.0 flash-drive with a speed of 20mb/sec along with a PC that provides a "USB legacy" boot option. Here's how to try out the very experimental alpha.
[Disclaimer: According to the Jide's website, the Remix OS is "for developers and early adopters who don't mind a bug or two." This procedure is highly technical. If your device damaged during the installation process, GizBot cannot be held responsible for any kind of damage for your any device. Hence, the user has to perform the installation on their own risk.]
By default, Remix OS runs on a USB stick. You can use it either Guest Mode or Resident Mode. Here is how to create your Remix OS USB stick and use live session on your desktop.
Download the installer package for Remix OS from Jide site. The package is just 700MB.
Jide recommended a USB stick with 20 MB/s write speed for better connection. Use a pendrive above 8GB of storage space. Note: Creating the Remix OS drive will wipe your all the data in your USB sick.
Create the bootable USB stick of Remix OS, follow these below steps.
1. Plug in blank USB stick.
2. Extract the files in the RemixOS for PC .zip file.
3. Launch the RemixOS USB Tool executable file.
4. Next to "ISO" click the Browse button and choose the RemixOS .iso file.
5. Next to "USB Disk" choose the drive letter associated with the USB stick you plugged in. and Click OK.
Most computers these days have the ability to boot from USB, but check your BIOS to make sure. There are two modes to use the Remix OS from live session.
Guest Mode: This allows you to preview how Remix OS works.
Resident Mode: This will treat your USB stick like a portable computer. Installed apps, setting will be remembered, no matter which computer you plug it into.
Remix OS does not come pre-installed with the Google Play Store, or any of the related Google apps. However, you can download and install apps on your own from APK Mirror. Follow the below steps.
1. Search apps in APK Mirror.
2. Remix OS runs Android 5.1.1, so it is recommended to download the correct version of apps which are compatible with the Android version.
3. Open the Settings app, check Security and enable installation from "Unknown Sources".
4. Now, install the APK file that you have downloaded from APK Mirror.
5. Enjoy Android on desktop-style.