- 1 hr ago Honor 20, Honor 20 Pro, Honor 20 Lite announced with quad cameras: Price, specs and more
- 3 hrs ago Skullcandy Indy review: A cheaper alternative to Apple AirPods
- 3 hrs ago Vodafone partners with Hyundai arm, for connected car services
- 5 hrs ago Nokia 3.2 officially launched in India with 4000mAh battery starting at Rs 8,990
- News J&K Governor lifts restrictions on civilian traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway from May 27
- Sports Archer thinks IPL experience gives him World Cup advantage
- Automobiles Range Rover Sport Launched With New 2.0-Litre Petrol Engine — Prices Start At 86.71 Lakh
- Lifestyle 21 Home Remedies For Mosquito Bites
- Movies Chinmayi Posts 'Nudes' As Requested By A Troll; Shocking Deets Inside
- Finance Savings Account Vs Debt Funds: Which Is Better To Maintain Emergency Fund?
- Education Goa Board SSC Result 2019: 92.47% Students Passed
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Did You Know Your Credit Card, Debit Card Can Be Hacked in Just 6 Seconds?
According to a research, it won’t take more than 6 seconds for hackers to get hold of your credit card details.
According to a few scientists who were able to bypass all the security features that are supposed to protect online payments from cyber criminals, it would take less than 6 seconds for hackers to get hold of your credit card/debit card details such as credit/debit number, expiry date, and security code.
A few researchers from Newcastle University in the UK, in an attempt to find out the flaws in the existing Visa payment system, have found that neither of them - banks and networks have managed to distinguish fake and invalid attempts from the actual ones.
As a result, when cyber criminals make multiple invalid attempts to get details of the credit card possibly by generating different versions of the card details and using them on different websites, hackers were able 'to get a hit' (succeed) in no time.
Explaining the process in detail, Mohammed Ali, a PhD student at Newcastle University said, "The current online payment system does not detect multiple invalid payment requests from different websites. This allows unlimited guesses on each card data field using up to the allowed number of attempts, typically 10 or 20 guesses, on each website."
In addition, he says that "Different websites ask for different variations in the card data fields to validate an online purchase. This means it's quite easy to build up the information and piece it together like a jigsaw. The unlimited guesses, when combined with the variations in the payment data fields, make it frighteningly easy for attackers to generate all the card details one field at a time."
What this essentially means is that hackers with no other details except for the first six digits of your credit/debit card can obtain all the necessary information by guessing. Cyber criminals can verify these guesses by using them on various payment websites.
All said and done, according to the researchers, this vulnerability appears only on Visa network.