TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Jammu & Kashmir: IED Blast Leaves An Army Officer Dead In Rajouri
- Saina And Saurabh Emerge Champions In The National Badminton
- Xiaomi Mi 9 Is The Most Powerful Android Smartphone In The World
- CBDT Notifies Deadline For Mandatory Aadhaar Linking To File Tax Returns
- Tesla Sentry Mode — The Guardian Angel Of Your Tesla
- Jageshwar — The Himalayan Town With 100 Ancient Temples
- Anushka Sharma Opens Up About Catfights In Bollywood
- Ever Faced Emotional Abuse As A Child?
As the latest step against the northeast exodus, Indian government is pressurizing the social networks of the country including Facebook, Google and Twitter to censor the content. While, Facebook and Google are supporting the government, according to Times of India report, if Twitter doesn't go along with the government's demands of censorship, it may face legal action and may be blocked from the country.
“A senior government official has said that Twitter has already been told that legal action may be taken against it as it had failed to cooperate with the Indian government in its efforts to find the source of and curtail the inflammatory messages against northeast citizens,” said the report.
Reportedly, Indian officials instigated for censorship, when India accused Pakistan of spreading threats via social-media outlets and SMS messages, following the recent violence between Muslims and indigenous communities in northeast India that left at least 78 people dead.
Hence as a step of repercussion, the government blocked more than 150 Web sites and restricted SMS over the weekend, and on Monday blocked 245 more Web pages.
According to The Wall Street Journal, both Google and Facebook informed that they are working with the Indian government to remove any "inflammatory and hateful content" from their Web sites. Facebook said it will take down content that "breaches" its rules, and Google told the Journal, "We understand the gravity of the situation...and continue to work closely with relevant authorities."
However, Twitter has not responded to any of the media queries so far. And the Indian government is expecting an action soon.
At the same time, six Twitter accounts, which have close resemblance to the PMO's official account – PMOIndia, have been shut down after they were found to have objectionable content. However, this incident is no way related to the recent happenings in the country, but is again a piece of information on Twitter negligence on keeping a check on fake profiles.
The Prime Minister Office of India joined Twitter on January 23, 2012 in order to resolve the issues of the public and to reach them at a faster pace.
As per the reports, PMO has asked the Department of Information and Technology's Cyber Security Cell to block these Twitter accounts, as they appear to be fake accounts that could be mistaken as the real one, thereby resulting in serious consequences.
According to several reports, the PMO had already asked Twitter to shutter these accounts a couple of months back, but as there was no response, the matter was referred to the Cyber Security Cell.
Hence, it is time that, Twitter too should take a quick action just like Facebook and Google, otherwise the day wont be far when the micro-blogging site would be blocked in the country, loosing more than 16 million users in a go.