Phone explodes while charging; leaves a 12-year-old partially blind

The boy lost one eye and a finger due to the explosion, leaving him unconscious until his sister found him and called for help.

By Vishal

A 12-year-old boy from Guangxi province, China has lost one eye and the right finger after his phone burst into flames while charging, leaving him covered in blood on the floor with severe injuries.

Phone explodes while charging; leaves a 12-year-old partially blind


Meng Jisu, 12, was charging his phone at his home when he leaned on the charger to reach the smartphone. His right index finger blew away due to the intensity of the explosion, leaving the boy unconscious until his sister found him and called for help.

The boy was rushed to the nearest hospital where he underwent a five-hour surgery to remove the sharp glass and plastic particles from his face and chest. Although the doctors performed the surgery, the boy was still left partially blinded because of the sharp pieces of plastic pierced directly through the right eyeball.

Also, the doctors were unable to reattach the finger to the boy's hand because it wasn't brought along to the hospital, but even if it was, the doctors said it wouldn't have been possible because of the severe injuries.

The doctors believe that the boy will be able to regain 98 percent of the functions of his right hand since they managed to reattach the vessels to all the fingers.

As far as the device is concerned, it was normal feature phone made in China called the Hua Tang VT-V59. Photos were shown by the Chinese media, suggest that the display of the phone burst into pieces, but by the looks of it, you wouldn't expect something as dramatic as a 12-year-old boy has lost an eye and a finger in the aftermath.

According to the mother of the boy, the device was bought two years back, but no other details were provided. The phone manufacturer is yet to offer a statement regarding the matter.

Facebook Messenger Tips and Tricks [MUST WATCH] - GIZBOT

Although the actual reason for the explosion remains a mystery, it is advised not to use cheap chargers and unreliable batteries, as the consequences can be just as disastrous. A certified charger that feeds the prescribed current for the battery will be a better alternative than a cheap charger that could feed higher current than required.

Most Read Articles
Best Mobiles in India

Read More About: phone battery news

Best Phones

Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Yes No
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Gizbot sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Gizbot website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more