- 2 hrs ago Redmi Note 8, Redmi 8, Redmi 8A Dual Receive Price Hike In India
- 3 hrs ago Redmi Note 9 Pro Max Review: Worth Every Extra Dime
- 4 hrs ago Penumbral Lunar Eclipse To Start Next Month In India: When To Watch
- 6 hrs ago Week 24, 2020 Launch Roundup: Infinix Hot 9, Gionee K6, Vivo Y70s 5G, Realme 6s And More
- News Punjab announces 4 week extension of lockdown
- Sports UFC on ESPN 9 results: Burns dominates Woodley in unanimous-decision win
- Automobiles Top Car News Of The Week: Here Are The Highlights From The Auto Industry Of The Week Gone By
- Finance Markets Next Week: Global Cues To Remain Key
- Lifestyle Happy Birthday Sobhita Dhulipala: Five Times The Diva Left Us Stunned With Her Unconventional Style
- Movies Sarkaru Vaari Paata Is The Official Title For Mahesh Babu's #SSMB27 With Parasuram!
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In North India In June
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
Zoom Declared Unsafe For Usage By Government Of India: Alternatives You Opt
Ever since the coronavirus pandemic broke out, governments have enforced lockdown on industries and organizations have been finding a way out to keep their work up and running. Several companies had no option than to allow their employees to work from home.
Instead of physical meetings, the companies have started using the online conference mode more than ever. Zoom is one of such online video communication platform that has been used by employees and employers to do online meetings and conferences for a smoother workflow.
But lately, it has been grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons. There have been several reports surfacing online claiming Zoom to be an unsafe platform as it has some security flaws that put the users' private information at risk.
Now, it seems that the Indian government has understood all the concerns and has warned the users to avoid using this platform.
The Official Warning
An advisory shared by the Cyber Coordination Center (CyCord) of the Ministry of Home Affairs warns the officials about the security concerns on the Zoom app. According to the advisory, the government officials/officers have been directed not to use the app.
However, one can use the app for personal usage. But, if any individual is planning to go ahead and use the app, they should be cautious and follow strict security protocols to avoid any mishap. The security guidelines were which need to be brought in practice have been highlighted by CERT-In in the past.
How Popular Is Zoom And What Alternatives We Can Use
ZOOM has seen a huge spike in its active user base in the past few months. Specifically in the last three months since the coronavirus outbreak started affecting the world. Earlier this platform had an average of 10 million users using its services.
However, the active number of users saw an all-time high with over 200 million users in March, suggests a report from Reuters. It's not just the Indian government that is trying to tighten the reign on this video conferencing app.
Earlier, the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Boston had warned the users to avoid hosting meetings on Zoom or share any links. Later, SpaceX also barred its employees from using the app considering all the security concerns.
If for some reason you still need to use the platform then try to make sure you follow certain security protocols. For instance, try to hide your personal data such as meeting IDs hidden and also add required password protections.
There are multiple other platforms online that will serve your purpose of online conferencing and are good alternatives to Zoom. Microsoft Teams is one such platform that has been gaining popularity in recent times.
You can use this service on your Android or Apple iPhone, Mac, and Windows OS. Teams are turning out to be one of the best alternatives for Zoom that can be used for business meetings, conferences, and also file sharing.
Similarly, apps like Skype, Google Duo can also be used for online meetings and conferences. And not to forget WhatsApp which also has the option to add multiple users in a call and can be used for small workgroups.